Friday 9 July 2010

Bloc Party's Kele Does Attitude

Check out lead singer of Bloc Party Kele Okereke's cover for team chico mag Attitude.


He tells Attitude magazine, "I was born in the U.K. and my parents are Nigerian. Fundamentally, I do have problems with a lot of what I perceive to be Nigerian culture. How they treat women. How they treat gays. It's a very hierarchical system where you always have to defer to your elders even if you know them to not be right. That's something I personally disagree with. I think everything should be open to discussion. To reason is part of being human."

He also recently did an interview for BUTT magazine where he talked about being gay:

"My parents are super-Catholic and they come from a culture in Nigeria where there weren’t any visible gay people who were out and were happy. I left home when I was 20. My parents threw me out [for being gay]. Which I knew they would. We didn't speak for like a week.  ... My parents are getting older and I didn’t like the idea that they could possibly die without knowing something that is a big part of my life. It’s not easy. ... We've been talking about it."

Check out his blog here


I never knew he was 'it'. Good to know. What's sad to me is that his family disowned him, which I can tell you is the major hinerance of every discreet person from a big family in trying to deal with the spanner in your lifeworks that is male attraction!

I wonder if he'd do an interview for me that would speak to a lot of people? *Pensive face

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Twitter - Follow me