Monday 16 January 2012

Interesting Read - CNN Article On MLK's Response To A Black Gay Teen in the 50's





“I am a boy,” an anonymous writer told King. “But I feel about boys the way I ought to feel about girls. I don't want my parents to know about me. What can I do?”

The above is an excerpt from a letter that Civil Rights Activist Martin Luther King received whilst guesting as an advice columnist for Ebony Magazine back in 1958. What advice did Dr. King give the boy? Find out after the jump:




Dr. King's response was:

“The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired,” King wrote. “You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it.”


I found the response interesting, he gives his view on same sex attraction without causing offence and and ends with a you know what you have to do type statement. On one hand given, King's deep South religious upbring, its refreshing that he didn't attack the boy the boy with fire and brimstone talk but at the same time it is reminiscent of being in school, asking the teacher a question and getting an answer that blurs the nature of you asking the question in the 1st place; leaving you where you started.

Read the rest of John Blake's article on what Martin Luther King over at CNN.

(Shoutout to @prettyboyalert for sharing)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Twitter - Follow me